Full-Time Lead Barista/ Trainer
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
An independent coffee house dedicated to serving thoughtful, crafted, delicious coffee. We roast under the name Apes & Peacocks and pull our Cornet blend from our Mirage lever-operated espresso machine, and we showcase our Apes & Peacocks coffees on AeroPress or Kalita Wave pour over at our slow bar.
the owner started in coffee as a roaster, 20 years ago. He teeter-tottered between coffee roasting and furniture design and build until he opened Underline Coffee with his Wife, Debra. They designed and built Underline Coffee from the ground up.
Our aim is to be one of the most passionate but approachable shops in the city. To always elevate our menu and our service. To be creative. To be great at what we do. And to grow with and provide avenues for good coffee people to have fulfilling sustainable employment.
Lead Barista Job Description:
Training and educating: The Lead barista will act as mentor, guide, and director for staff leading by example. The lead will regularly train and educate staff on Underline Coffee’s offerings and beverage menu.
Tracking: The lead performs regular QC, via tasting, cupping, scoring and gather TDS data. The lead will gather data organize the data and present it regularly to the owner.
Making: The lead works with the owner to determine and regularly update recipes of of all beverages on the menu, and has the opportunity top create and add new beverages to the menu.
In addition to knowing your stuff as a coffee professional, you need to be organized, punctual, be a “self-starter,” and work behind the bar with a sense of urgency. A lead should be able to work with a variety of personalities and feel at ease showing direction.
- Have worked as a barista at a “third wave” shop at minimum of 1 year
- Truly enjoy service
- have a NYS Food Handler’s license
- Have interest in competing
- Work at least 3 shifts in the store per week and 1 day spent educating, professional development at the roaster, or teaching.
- Communicate clearly to staff about menu offerings, in a manner that enables them to speak competently about the coffee and the beverage program.
- QC that involves cupping and scoring coffee, tasting and scoring beverages, measuring tds.
- Be available to train staff one on one when necessary.
- Train and maintain best practices on bar and use of equipment that keeps the work space clean and orderly.
- Perform regular scheduled maintenance on coffee equipment.
- Lead weekly cuppings.
- Further elevate your abilities as a coffee professional in service.
- Hourly or Salaried position, also eligible for tips
- Opportunities for support at Barista or Brewer’s cup competition
- After 6 months we cover half the cost of SCAA Barista class or Barista camp
- Provide support at developing your professional track, through business plan development, marketing, or any creative direction that we both can find shared interests. The position is meant to be a starting point for a coffee professional, and the goal is to move the candidate to the next level in his or her professional aim.
How to ApplyPlease send pdf resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
646 total views, 1 today