Full-Time Store Manager
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Irving Farm Coffee Roasters was founded in 1996 by two college friends, Steve and David, when they opened a tiny neighborhood café on Irving Place in Gramercy Park. They began roasting out of a converted carriage house in bucolic Dutchess County soon after, and nearly 20 years later Irving Farm has grown into one of New York’s most beloved hometown roasters with six cafés, a bustling wholesale business, a state-of-the-art SCAA Certified Training & Education Loft, a brand new Roastery & Tasting Room, and a green coffee buying program that focuses on direct relationships with farmers, sustainable practices and a philosophy of quality over quantity.
The store manager is responsible for leading their staff members in the day-to-day operations of the cafe, in accordance with the highest standards of excellence in service and food & beverage preparation. They will oversee and be held accountable for all operations of the cafe, including completing payroll, meeting strict budgetary guidelines and controlling costs associated with COGS and labor, handling staff scheduling and management, ordering and inventory, maintaining store appearance, and ensuring compliance with company policy and the NYC DOH code. The store manager is expected to model and exemplify all aspects of store & company policy and conduct. We are looking for a passionate, responsible, self-motivated individual who possesses excellent leadership skills. This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to lead a solid team of staff in cultivating a welcoming cafe environment with excellent coffee and food.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Minimum of 1 year leadership or managerial experience in a high-volume, fast-paced food service environment (preferably a specialty coffee shop)
- At least 2- 3 years of experience working with specialty coffee
- Must hold a current and valid NYC Food Handler’s license
- Must be willing and able to commit to a minimum employment term of at least one year
- Must obtain barista certification through IFCR’s Training Center within three months of hire
- Must expect to work 4 – 5 floor shifts per week (typically from 8am – 4pm, with additional time budgeted for completing administrative duties)
- Must be willing to work overtime to cover shifts (including evenings and weekends) and/or for special events, as well as generally be “on call” during store hours
- Must have outstanding customer service skills, and an ability to communicate standards of excellent hospitality to others
- Must have demonstrable leadership and managerial abilities, including an ability to effectively delegate tasks
- Must be proficient with a computer and a smart phone; familiar and comfortable with Google Docs, Excel, etc.
- Must be able or willing to learn to read and analyze P&L reports and spreadsheets
- Must be a “self-starter”
- Must have a keen eye for detail and organization
- Must have excellent time management skills and an ability to juggle multiple responsibilities at once
- Must be able to lift heavy objects and spend long periods of time on foot
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills in English; knowing at least some conversational Spanish is a huge bonus!
- Reports directly to and communicates regularly regarding all store matters to the Director of Retail
- Models and exemplifies all aspects of store & company policy and conduct, including excellent customer service
- Executes all day-to-day store operations and trains and supports all staff members in abiding by all store and company policies and procedures, including the NYC DOH code
- Ensures and is responsible for profitability of the store, including growing sales and also meeting set COGS and labor percentage goals by identifying and controlling costs associated with labor, waste, inventory management, and general store expenses
- Performs all orders for the store; maintains and tracks inventory for the store
- Maintain a clean, organized, and well-stocked environment both behind the counter, in storage spaces, and customer areas and when necessary report anything broken, missing, out of stock, etc.
- Performs bi-weekly payroll; maintains & monitors cash flow and handling, including completing weekly bank runs
- Promotes and practices safe work habits, identifies and resolves workplace hazards, and documents any incidents or accidents at the store
- Makes the weekly staff schedule and ensures suitable coverage of all shifts at the store, while maintaining labor costs
- Recruits and hires new employees according to company hiring standards in order to fulfill all staffing and scheduling needs; trains new employees in-store and in accordance with company policies and standards
- Be “on call” to cover shifts for no-call/no-shows, handle emergencies, customer service issues, etc.
- Maintains personnel files on all staff, including documenting write-ups for policy violations and both excellent and poor performance; performs quarterly performance reviews to assess and appraise staff for raises or disciplinary action
- Stays informed about any changes to the coffee or food program (including changes to the pour over menu or S.O. espresso, any new pastries, etc.) to help reinforce drink standards and expectations and to ensure that all staff are able to communicate effectively with customers about our offerings
- Monitors and oversees quality control of all beverages and food served in the store and identifies areas where staff need to be trained or re-trained to meet company standards
- Works with the Retail Education Coordinator to identify and facilitate opportunities for staff to attend trainings at the Lab; ensures that only certified baristas are permitted to use the espresso machine at their store
Compensation & Benefits
Irving Farm offers competitive industry wages and an attractive benefits packages including health insurance, 401k participation with an employer contribution, Paid Time Off, and cellphone reimbursement.
Irving Farm is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage applicants of all races, ethnicities, genders, and sexual orientations to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace and world.
How to ApplyPlease send a resume, cover letter, and 2 - 3 references to email@example.com.
318 total views, 1 today